PhD, The University of Western Ontario, 2019
MSc, The University of Western Ontario, 2014
BA, Queen's University, 2011
Dr. Katerina Rnic received her PhD in Clinical Psychology from the University of Western Ontario and completed her clinical internship at the Calgary Clinical Psychology Residency. She is currently a postdoctoral fellow in Dr. Joelle LeMoult’s Depression, Anxiety, and Stress (DAS) Lab and in Dr. Raymond Lam’s Lab in the Department of Psychiatry.
Katerina’s research focuses on the relation of cognitive control and cognitive vulnerability with biological, emotional, and cognitive responses to stress in the context of unipolar depression. She is also interested in how cognitive vulnerability, personality, and maladaptive behaviours predispose individuals to generate stress over time, and how this process causes, maintains, or exacerbates depression.
Peer-Reviewed Journal Articles
Rnic, K., Sabbagh, M. A., Washburn, D., Bagby, R. M., & Harkness, K. L. (2018). Childhood emotional abuse, physical abuse, and neglect are associated with theory of mind decoding accuracy in young adults with depression. Psychiatry Research, 268, 501-507.
Fazakas-DeHoog, L. L., Rnic, K., & Dozois, D. J. A. (2017). A cognitive distortions and deficits model of suicide ideation. Europe’s Journal of Psychology, 13, 178-193.
Rnic, K., Dozois, D. J. A., & Martin, R. A. (2016). Cognitive distortions, humor styles, and depression. Europe’s Journal of Psychology, 12, 348-362.
Smith, M. M., Sherry, S. B., Rnic, K., Saklofske, D. H., Enns, M. W., & Gralnick, T.M. (2016). Are perfectionism dimensions vulnerability factors for depressive symptoms after controlling for neuroticism? A meta-analysis of 10 longitudinal studies. European Journal of Personality. 230, 201-212.
Washburn, D., Wilson, G., Roes, M., Rnic, K., & Harkness, K. L. (2016). Theory of mind in social anxiety disorder, depression, and comorbid conditions. Journal of Anxiety Disorders, 37, 71-77.
Dozois, D. J. A., & Rnic, K. (2015). Core beliefs and self-schematic structure in depression. Current Opinion in Psychology, 4, 98-103.
Linden, W., MacKenzie, R., Rnic, K., Marshall, C., & Vodermaier, A. (2014). Emotional adjustment over 1 year post-diagnosis in patients with cancer: Understanding and predicting adjustment trajectories. Supportive Care in Cancer, 23, 1-9.
Pullmer, R., Linden, W., Rnic, K., & Vodermaier, A. (2014). Measuring symptoms in gastrointestinal cancer: A systematic review of assessment instruments. Supportive Care in Cancer, 22, 2941-2955.
Vodermaier, A., Linden, W., Rnic, K., Ng, A., Wang, C., Ditsch, N., Olson, R. (2014). Prospective associations of depression with survival: A population-based cohort study in patients with newly diagnosed breast cancer. Breast Cancer Research and Treatment, 143, 373-384.
Rnic, K., Linden, W., Tudor, I., Pullmer, R., & Vodermaier, A. (2013). Measuring symptoms in prostate cancer: A systematic review of assessment instruments. Prostate Cancer and Prostatic Diseases, 16, 111-122.
Invited Book and Encyclopedia Chapters
LeMoult, J., Battaglini, A., Rnic, K., & Castonguay, L. G. (Accepted). Depression. In L. G. Castonguay, T. F. Oltmanns, & A. D. Powers (Eds.), Psychopathology: From science to clinical practice. New York: Guilford Press.
Rnic, K., & Dozois, D. J. A. (In press). Depression. In B. J. Carducci (Editor-in-Chief) & A. Di Fabio, D. H. Saklofske, & C. Stough (Vol. Eds.), Wiley-Blackwell encyclopedia of personality and individual differences: Vol. III. Personality processes and individual differences. Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley & Sons.
Dozois, D. J. A., Dobson, K. S., & Rnic, K. (2019). Historical and philosophical bases of the cognitive–behavioral therapies. In K. S. Dobson & D. J. A. Dozois (Eds.), Handbook of Cognitive-Behavioral Therapies (4th ed.). New York: Guilford Press.
Dozois, D. J. A., & Rnic, K. (2018). Classification and diagnosis. In D. J. A. Dozois (Ed.). Abnormal Psychology: Perspectives (6th ed.). Toronto, ON: Prentice Hall.
Rnic, K., & Dozois, D. J. A. (2017). Treatment-relevant assessments in cognitive-behavioural therapy. In S. G. Hofmann & G. Asmundson (Eds.), The science of cognitive-behavioral therapy: From theory to therapy. Philadelphia: Elsevier/Academic Press.
Rehman, U. S., Dozois, D. J. A., & Rnic, K. (2015). Classification and Diagnosis. In D. J. A. Dozois (Ed.). Abnormal Psychology: Perspectives (5th ed., DSM-5 Update Edition). Toronto, ON: Prentice Hall.
Linden, W., & Rnic, K. (2013). Psycho-Oncology. In L. Grossman & S. Walfish (Eds.), Translating Research into Practice. Springer Publishing, NY.
- Michael Smith Foundation for Health Research Trainee Award (2021)
- University of Western Ontario Department of Psychiatry Seed Funding Grant, Co-I (2020-2021)
- Marshall Postdoctoral Fellowship ($75,000) from the University of British Columbia Institute of Mental Health (2019-2020)
- Dr. Sam Paunonen Award in Psychology ($1,000) from the University of Western Ontario (2019)
- Beck Institute Student Workshop Scholarship ($500 USD) from the Beck Institute (2017)
- Travel Award ($500) from the Canadian Association of Cognitive and Behavioural Therapies (2017)
- University of Western Ontario 3 Minute Thesis (3MT) Finalist (2017)
- Ontario Graduate Scholarship – Doctoral ($15,000; 2017-2018)
- Elsie Ramos Memorial Student Poster Award from the Association for Behavioral and Cognitive Therapy (2016)
- Doctoral Excellence Research Award ($10,000) from the University of Western Ontario (2016-2017)
- Student of the Year Award from the London Regional Psychological Association (2016)
- Innovation Award from The University of Western Ontario (2016)
- Poster Award Winner from Division 12 Society of Clinical Psychology, American Psychological Association (2015)
- SSHRC Vanier Award ($150,000; 2014-2017)
- SSHRC Joseph Bombardier Award ($105,000; 2017-2017; Declined)
- Ontario Graduate Scholarship – Doctoral ($15,000; 2014-2015; Declined)
- Ontario Graduate Scholarship – Masters ($15,000; 2013-2014)
- CIHR Masters Award ($17,500; 2012-2013)
- Queen’s University Medal in Psychology (Highest Academic Standing in graduating class; 2011)