Nurturing nature and our wellbeing
The Peas of Mind community garden brings our community together to experience the rewards of gardening, fresh produce, personal connections, and beautification to our campus neighbourhood. We hope community food garden boosts the mental health and wellbeing of our department members and neighbouring community.
A sustainable location
The Peas of Mind community garden is located in a large concrete planter located outside the first-floor west entrance of the Douglas T. Kenny Building on West Mall. Repurposing an existing structure for this garden was a productive use of an underutilized structure to grow food.
The Peas of Mind community garden is situated on the traditional, ancestral and unceded territory of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam).
Is your interest ‘pea’ked? Complete this form if you want updates on the garden’s progress and/or to get involved.
- March 2020: Application submitted for funding through the UBC Healthy Workplace Initiatives Program
- April 2020: Application approved!
- June 2020: Funding extended to 2021
- April 2021: Development permit submitted and approved
- May 2021: Ivy removal and garden preparation
- June 2021: Planting complete!
- July/August 2021: Weeding, watering and nurturing the plant babies
- September 2021: Harvesting the garden
- October 2021: Winter planting