Admissions and transfer credits are determined by UBC Admissions. Students intending to Major in Psychology must first apply to the Faculty of Arts or the Faculty of Science. Each Faculty (Arts and Science) determines the GPA (grade point average) required for admission. For more information visit the Student Services website.

Yes, all students wishing to complete a Major or Minor in Psychology must take PSYC 101 and PSYC 102 (or PSYC 100), totaling 6 credits.

Check the Student Service Centre frequently. Registration fluctuates especially during the registration period and the start of the term. If classes have started and you haven’t been able to register, attend the class and ask the professor if they are willing to sign an add/drop form. However, the professor may say no at their discretion.

If you wish to graduate with a Major in Psychology, you cannot be exempt from taking PSYC 218.

There will be several sections of PSYC 207 and PSYC 208 Contemporary Issues--with various topics. On the Student Service Centre, click 'Courses'. Once you have selected PSYC 207 or PSYC 208, click on the arrow beside 'Section Comments'. The topic for each section will be listed there.

The Student Service Centre sometimes has problems recognizing transfer credit – that's why you received a WEB warning. You may still click on the “register for section” button to proceed with the registration request.

Maybe. You can request manual registration in PSYC 217 and/or PSYC 218 only if there are seats available after all of the Psychology Major students have completed registration.

The course listing is published near the end of February. Check the Course Schedule on UBC's Student Service's website.

Earlier versions of the UBC Calendar can be found in the UBC Vancouver Academic Calendar Archive or contact the Transcript Dept. of Enrolment Services.

  1. On the Course Schedule in the SSC, select 'Specializations' under the 'Browse' menu to view a list of all degree programs which have specializations.
  2. Select your degree program.
  3. Select Psychology and then Psychology Major/Minor from the subject list.
  4. Click the 'Add Spec' button.
  5. If the specialization indicates that you must contact the department, you will not be able to declare this online. In this case, contact the department.

  1. BSc - Science Minor in Psychology
    You will be required to take PSYC 100, or PSYC 101 and PSYC 102, and 18 more credits of 300 or 400-level PSYC courses numbered 60 or higher in the last two digits.
  2. BSc - Arts Minor in Psychology (30 Credits)
    You will be required to take PSYC 100, or PSYC 101 and PSYC 102, in the first year, six credits of 200-level PSYC in the second year (PSYC 207 and PSYC 208 are recommended), and at least 18 credits of 300 or 400-level PSYC courses in third and fourth years (not including PSYC 340, 348, 440, or 448).
  3. BSc - Arts Minor in Psychology (18 Credits)
    You will be required to take PSYC 100, pr PSYC 101 and PSYC 102, plus at least 18 credits of PSYC courses numbered 300 and above (not including PSYC 340, 348,440, or 448).

You can find applications for all three options through the UBC Faculty of Science.

Directed Studies give you an opportunity to participate in a research project, as determined by you and your supervising faculty member. You must have obtained an average of at least 72% in your last 30 credits in order to be eligible for a directed study.

  1. Contact a full-time faculty member (Sessional instructors are not eligible to supervise a Directed Study) and ask whether they will supervise your project.
  2. Pick up the Directed Study form from the Psychology Department office and complete the required information including a brief summary of the project. When the form is complete, return it to the Psychology Undergraduate Advisor's office (Kenny Bldg. Room 2502). Refer to the Advising Schedule for drop-off times.

NOTE: The Department of Psychology requires at least 30 upper-level PSYC credits for the Psychology Major. Directed Study projects with the course numbers PSYC 340, 348, 440, or 448 may not be included for the minimum 30 PSYC credits required for the Major Program.

Check out the postings on the bulletin board in the main entrance of the UBC Psychology building (Kenny Bldg.) or visit the Participate webpage.

Generally, to obtain a research position you need to be sponsored by a professor before applying. There are occasionally postings on the digital signage or the bulletin board in the UBC Psychology building (Kenny Bldg.). However, the bulk of these are volunteer positions.

  1. Obtain a second degree with a Major in Psychology. As a student with a previous degree, you will need to complete a minimum of 60 credits and meet all of the requirements of both the Department of Psychology, and your governing faculty.
  2. Apply to UBC as an unclassified student. This means that you are only required to take the courses that are required for the Psychology Program (42 credits). However, you will not obtain a second degree.

Counselling Psychology is offered through the Faculty of Education.