Map your degree

Here are some considerations to keep in mind when you map out your psychology degree requirements while participating in Go Global Programs.

It is recommended that Psychology students go on exchange in third or fourth year. For most Psychology students studying abroad works best after you have completed lower-level Psychology requirements (i.e., PSYC 100 or 101 + 102 and PSYC 217 & 218). This foundation will allow you to better appreciate differences in psychological perspectives around the world and to cope with any differences in teaching styles that you may encounter. This means that the PSYC credits you earn when studying abroad, will generally contribute to upper-level (3rd & 4th year) Psychology requirements of your degree.

If you are in an Honours program or a Co-op program consult with your program advisors to see whether exchange is possible and how much it will extend the time and expense of your graduation. Figure out the best term(s) for going on exchange by mapping out your degree and taking account of:

  • Any classes it is better to complete at UBC (e.g., lower-level PSYC requirements and classes unique to your program).
  • Which degree and program requirements can be completed abroad most easily?
  • How many credits you will earn while on exchange and how many courses you will need to complete on your return.

Students can review the Go Global transfer credit database to see which courses from abroad have already been evaluated. Note their topic and their year-level. However, you are not limited to those courses. If a psychology course you would like to take at a partner university has not already been evaluated, you can use the following criteria to judge whether it is upper-level:

  • The course has prerequisites of lower-level (1st or 2nd year) introductory psychology courses.
  • The textbooks and readings are of a high standard, with some primary sources, such as original journal articles.
  • Student assignments and exams should include written material such as essays and term papers.

You do not have to choose only courses that are identical to those at UBC. This is an opportunity to be exposed to different cultural perspectives and to new material. Even if a course cannot transfer as a specific Psychology course (e.g., PSYC 307), it can often be classified as belonging to one of the 6 upper-level psychology lists - Behavioural Neuroscience, Cognitive Science, Developmental, Personality/Social, Clinical/Forensic/Health, Foundations/Psychometrics. In that case, the course can fulfill requirements of that list: see Transfer Credit below.

Students participating in the Exchange program must follow the Go Global transfer credit process. As transfer credit takes a long time to process, it is important that students submit required documents by the appropriate deadlines. Note: Failing to do so can affect your graduation or registration date.

If you are not provided with a full syllabus by instructors when on exchange, remember that you are still responsible for gathering and submitting the following information so that your courses can be evaluated in a timely manner:

  • Course prerequisites and whether the course is considered upper- or lower-level by the institution you attended.
  • Weekly topics covered in the course: a detailed list of the material you tackled.
  • Textbooks and readings assigned by instructors.
  • Student assignments including details of the type and contents of any essays, papers, and examinations.

Courses that transfer back as a specific Psychology course (eg. PSYC 305) can easily be applied to the major. Courses that transfer back as unassigned upper-level PSYC credit (eg. PSYC 3RD) are often also designated as waiving a specific upper-level list requirement. If no list is specified then unassigned upper-level PSYC credits can still contribute to total upper-level PSYC requirements - e.g., 30 credits for the Psychology BA major.

Visit the UBC Go Global website for the most up to date deadlines, eligibility requirements and scholarship opportunities.

If you have questions about the exchange process or how a course at a partner institution will contribute to your Psychology degree requirements, you can contact the Psychology Undergraduate Advisor: - see office hours and details.