Interested in graphic design and communications? Volunteer at the BRAIN Lab!
The UBC Behavioral Reward, Affect, and Impulsivity Neuroscience (BRAIN) Lab is looking for a volunteer to assist with graphic design and/or communications-related projects and tasks.
About the Lab:
The BRAIN Lab focuses on the psycho-neurobiological mechanisms underlying cognitive, affective, and stress-associated aspects of decision-making and impulsivity—specifically related to substance use disorders and concurrent mental disorders.
Duties of this position will include:
- Designing infographics, creating study recruitment posters, creating a branding concept, and/or writing and editing blog posts about our research on mental health and addiction
- Updating our lab website, Twitter, and Facebook pages, and regularly meeting with other team members to divide up tasks.
- Additional opportunities in the lab may be available for the volunteer (e.g., running a podcast), but are not required.
- Background in graphic design, creative writing, communicating research or scientific information for general audiences, marketing, social media, journalism, and/or extensive experience in creating graphic designs and writing blog posts.
- Creative, artistic, and strong written communication skills.
- Minimum 10-15 hours/week and 1-year commitment.
- Experience in using audio/visual equipment and software for recording and editing a podcast is an asset.
- Preferred: Bachelor’s Degree (or equivalent) or current undergraduate in a Graphic Design, Creative Writing, Communications, Marketing, Visual/Media Arts, Film, Journalism, Health Sciences, Psychology, Neuroscience, or related program.
Experience in graphic design and communications is not required, but preference will be given to individuals who show skill and interest in doing both kinds of tasks.
This is a great opportunity for those wanting to strengthen their graphic design skills and gain further experience communicating research on mental health and addiction.
How to apply?
If interested, please send your CV, transcripts, writing samples, graphic design portfolio (or previous designs), and a brief statement of interest to Dr. Myriam Juda at firstname.lastname@example.org, and cc email@example.com.
Learn more about the BRAIN Lab at: https://brainlab.med.ubc.ca/