Dr. Janet Werker is seeking undergraduate students who are native speakers of Hindi or Urdu for volunteer research assistant (RA) positions in her Infant Studies Centre to assist with a research project about infant speech perception. The positions entail:
- Reaching out to parents with young infants, by phone and e-mail, to tell them about Dr. Werker’s research and to invite them to participate in an infant speech perception study.
- Running an infant speech perception study, using an eye-tracker, with infants aged 6 months, 9 months, or 11 months and who are hearing a South Asian language at home.
- Reaching out to organizations in the South Asian community, by phone and e-mail, to coordinate the advertisement of an infant speech perception study. There may also be opportunities to attend events in the South Asian community to recruit parents in-person.
The ideal applicants will be:
- Currently enrolled in a Psychology, Linguistics, Speech Sciences, or Cognitive Systems degree program with a GPA of at least 80%
- Fluent in spoken and written Hindi or Urdu
- Interested in child development and/or the acquisition of language
- Able to begin anytime before or on May 1st, 2017
- Able to commit to 9 hours per week for at least two academic terms
Interested applicants should send their CV/résumé and an unofficial transcript to Sav, Research Manager, at email@example.com.
Deadline to apply is Monday, April 24th, 2017, but “the sooner the better”, as applications will be assessed upon their reception.