International Students

The Department of Psychology welcomes applicants from around the world and the University provides additional services specifically designed for those coming to Canada to pursue graduate studies.


Minimum academic requirements for students from universities outside of Canada can be found on the Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies website. In addition to meeting the general admission requirements, applicants with degrees from universities in which the primary language of instruction was other than English must submit evidence of proficiency in English using one of the tests approved by Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies.

Financial Support

Applicants should explore funding opportunities in their home country. International students in our department are eligible for funding from a number of sources including Entrance Fellowships, Affiliated Fellowships, University Fellowships and research and teaching assistantships. More information can be found on the Awards and Funding page.

Working in Canada

A student permit (visa) is required to enter Canada.  Please refer to the Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies website for more information.  Students should begin the process of applying for a visa well in advance of enrolling.

If you are appointed as a Graduate Teaching Assistant or a Graduate Research Assistant, your Study Permit must indicate that you may accept on campus employment. Upon arrival you need to apply for a Social Insurance Number. Copies of both documents must be given to the Department’s Executive Coordinator. Spouses of graduate students may now also obtain work permits.

General information

All registered students must have the financial resources to support their graduate studies and have approved hospital and medical insurance. UBC’s International Student Guide has everything you need to know about life as an international student at UBC’s Vancouver campus.